Pilates Studio Rehab Series
Studio & Rehab Series Overview
The Studio & Rehab Series is about how to assess your client and restore functional movement based on all the studio equipment designed by Joseph Pilates. It’s the most in-depth of the 3 courses, going into exercise prescription for all ages and levels of ability with the widest range of equipment.
It takes about 7 months to complete this series – one weekend per month over 6 months, and an online component. Depending on your career path, you might choose to complete one course, or if you’re interested in more than one, complete in a timeframe that works for you.
Pilates Studio & Rehab Series Courses 2021
|2021 – Round 1|
|SYDNEY||13-14 Feb||27-28 Feb||27-28 March||08-09 May||05-06 June||10-11 July||07-08 August||Closed|
|MELBOURNE||01-02 May||22-23 May||26-27 June||31 Jul-01 Aug||28-29 August||02-03 Oct||06-07 Nov||REGISTER NOW|
|ADELAIDE||New Date 13-14 March||New Date 10-11 April||New Date 22-23 May||New Date 19-20 June||New Date 24-25 July||New Date 21-22 August||New Date 18-19 Sept||Closed|
|PERTH||20-21 Feb||13-14 March||01-02 May||29-30 May||26-27 June||24-25 July||21-22 August||Closed|
|BRISBANE||ONLINE||08-09 May||05-06 June||10-11 July||07-08 August||04-05 Sept||09-10 Oct||REGISTER NOW|
|CANBERRA||ONLINE||14-15 August||18-19 Sept||23-24 Oct||27-28 Nov||29-30 Jan’22||05-06 Mar’22||REGISTER NOW|
|2021 – Round 2|
|SYDNEY||24-25 July||14-15 Aug||11-12 Sept||09-10 Oct||06-07 Nov||04-05 Dec||29-20 Jan ’22||TBA|
The Pilates Studio & Rehab Training consists of 6 x two-day on-site courses which must be taken in the following order: Polestar Principles (PP) SR1, SR2, SR3, SR4, SR5, SR6. These are delivered on Saturday & Sunday; 8am – 5pm approx 1 month apart. The course repertoire consists of more than 145 exercises with variations and modifications.
There are two streams of this course ‘Studio and Rehab’. All students learn exactly the same repertoire and course weekends however those students that are from a Rehab background like Physio or Osteos, Chiros will complete different case studies, exams and assignments.
PP – Polestar Pilates Principles of Movement (2-days)
Experience and apply the theories of movement that lay the foundation for Polestar Pilates in this prerequisite for all Polestar courses. This non-apparatus course uses evidence-based research and covers our six basic movement principles which are used throughout the Polestar Pilates curriculum. You will discover the passage ways for movement throughout the body and develop the tools to provide either assistance for or challenge your clients in helping them achieve their goals.
Polestar Principles will bring to life your ability to assess, problem-solve, design and modify exercise programs to meet specific needs and abilities.
SR1 – SR6 (6 x 2 day courses)
The course has six units scheduled approximately one month apart. Each unit is two days, Saturday and Sunday. The time between units allows you to practice, complete log book hours, assignments and become comfortable with the material before continuing on to the next.
These Units review the postural screening methodology and the six principles learned in Principles, then applies them to exercises on the Studio Reformer, Trapeze Table, Chair, Ladder Barrel, Mat and small props. Students will receive a comprehensive didactic and theoretical review and practical training using a clinical reasoning approach. Each Unit consists of a formal lecture, demonstrations, labs, reading assignments, research literature review, and writing assignments.
- Verbal and tactile cueing combined with mental imagery to facilitate accurate execution of movement
- Program design and exercise sequencing
- Practical application of the repertoire through use of case studies
- Exercise modifications for a variety of populations
- Adjustment of equipment for patient safety and instructor efficiency
- Progression of movement following an injury
- Indications and contraindications for exercise selection
- Lab time with fellow students
The Pilates Studio & Rehab Series includes the following 6 Units of competency:
- NAT10828006: Plan and instruct the introductory Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S1)
- NAT10828007: Plan and instruct the beginner Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S2)
- NAT10828008: Plan and instruct the early intermediate Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S3)
- NAT10828009: Plan and instruct the intermediate Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S4)
- NAT10828010: Plan and instruct the early advanced Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S5)
- NAT10828011: Plan and instruct the advanced Polestar Pilates Studio and Rehabilitation repertoire (S6)
CORE COMPETENCIESThe above 6 units are drawn from the Polestar Pilates Comprehensive Instruction Method Diploma (10828NAT) which is a nationally recognised course under the Australian Qualification Framework. Polestar Australia is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) No. 91620. Graduates will receive a Statement of Attainment for partial completion of this Diploma.
Course Learning ResourcesOn registration you will be automatically enrolled into the Polestar Online Resources where you will have access to the interactive study resources including lectures, case studies, repertoire review and much more. You will also receive an instructional email outlining your homework assignments and lots of great information for the duration of your course. At your first course weekend you will receive your manuals and this is when you can start to complete your logbook hours. Note manuals and logbooks must be bought to each course weekend:
- Principles Manual
- Studio repertoire manuals S1-S6
Required Reading booksAs part of the training Polestar recommends the following text to assist with your learning: Note they are an additional cost to the course fees.
- Anatomy of Movement, Blandine Calais-Germain: Eastland Press 1993
- Pilates Evolution, the 21st Century Joseph Pilates: Bain Bridge Books
- Dynamic Alignment Through Imagery, Eric Franklin: Human Kinetics 1996
- Energy Medicine, The Scientific Basis, James L. Oschman: Churchill Livingstone, 2000 Chapters 1-4, 15 – Polestar will provide you with PDF copies of this at registration
Course AssessmentThe Pilates Studio & Rehab Training course is made up of the following hours, all log book hours must be completed prior to taking your final examination:
- Lectures & homework: 330 h
- Observation: 70 h
- Practice (Self-Mastery): 100 h
- Apprentice Teaching): 100 h
- Final Exam (Practical & Theory): 3 hrs
Lectures:Lecture hours include all face to face delivery of material PP, SR1-SR6
Homework Assignments:To be completed and handed in on the Saturday morning of your face to face weekends for assessment by the education team. Feedback will be provided on Sunday. Detailed instructions will be sent to you on registration. Late submission of homework does incur additional fees, see student handbook on registration for more information.
Student observes a Pilates Studio sessions and some Reformer classes in action, and has their logbook hours signed off by a certified practitioner. Pilates Anytime can be used for up to 10 observation hours of this course.
Self-Mastery and Self-Directed learning:
- Self-mastery hours includes self-study i.e. studying theoretical components of the course and self-practice and by attending classes and semi / private studio sessions.
- 30% of these hours can be allocated to self-study, the remaining 70% to be allocated to self-practice
- NOTE: the practical self-practice hours are at an additional cost to the course fees as you will be attending studios to complete these.
After having attained self-mastery of the repertoire in the course you will be ready to assist a Pilates instructor within a Studio environment in order to gain practical experience and feedback on your teaching delivery. These hours are recorded in your log book and signed off by the instructor you are working with.
Click here for Polestar’s list of mentors and studios you can work with.
You have 18 months from the commencement of Principles (PP) to take your final exam. All logbook hours, face to face weekends and assignments must be completed. The exam consists of a 2 hour multiple choice and 1 hour practical. Please contact Student Admin when you are ready to book in.
Self-Study Requirements throughout the course
Following is the recommended MINIMUM hours required per week for duration of the course:
- Self-Practice: 2+ hours per week
- Supervised Practice: 2+ hours per week
- Observation: 2+ hours per week
- Apprentice Teaching: 3+ hours per week
- Written homework: 3+ hours per month
Following is an indication of your additional commitment per week
- Self-Practice – minimum 2 hour per week
- Supervised Practice – minimum 2 hour per week
- Observation – minimum 2 hours per week
- Apprentice Teaching – minimum 2-3 hours per week
- Written homework – minimum 3 hours per month
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL):
Polestar Pilates Australia recognises the skills and knowledge that a candidate has gained via other forms of study, formal training, self-tuition, work experience or life experience. Please contact Polestar directly for more information
|COURSE PACKAGES||Payment Plan|
|Polestar Pilates Studio & Rehab Training Units PP, SR1, SR2, SR3, SR4, SR5, SR6, Academic Units, Course Manuals, Logbook, Online Portal and Final Exam||$5,690 |
Payment plan: $660 x 7
Additional out of pocket expenses
- The practical self-mastery hours are at an additional cost to the course fees as you will be attending studios to complete these. Remember that 30% of these hours can be completed as self-directed study
- Logbook sign off for teaching and demonstration of all repertoire. As you proceed through the course all repertoire learnt must be signed off by an Educator or Mentor for teaching and demonstration. Polestar allocates time at each face to face weekend for repertoire check off however sometimes students are not quite ready so this will need to be done in your own time and will incur additional fees by engaging a mentor or attending study groups in your city.
- Required Reading books: as noted in course overview above
All prices are in Australian dollars and include GST when applicable. All prices are subject to change without notice.